Friday, November 1, 2013

Running Down a Dream


Despite being sick for the past three weeks and just finishing a course of antibiotics, I still plan to run the New York Marathon Sunday. I called my pulmonologist yesterday to ask for help as my asthma wasn't cooperating either. He responded hesitantly, you're still running? He doesn't get it.  The 26.2 mile course travels through all five boroughs and is lined with millions of cheering New Yorkers, then finishes in Central Park. I will be one of 40,000 other runners on Sunday chasing a dream.
 I gained a spot in last year’s race through Back on My Feet, a fabulous charity that many of you donated to on my behalf, but after training for months I developed a blood clot in my leg, and with a broken heart, had to pull out.  Eventually the marathon was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy, but my
entry from last year was transferred to this year’s race.  Lucky me.

Once I got the green-light to start running again last December, I haven’t looked back. With renewed intensity, I’ve logged more than a thousand miles preparing for this year’s race with the hope of finishing a marathon for the first time as Gia.   I’ll be thinking of all my friends, family, and allies during the 3 hours and 55 minutes, the Boston Marathon qualifying time and my goal time, as I’m navigating the streets of New York.  Thank you for sending me your positive thoughts, I’ll need everyone of them during my 35,000 steps through the Big Apple. 

If you’re feeling generous, please donate to one of the worthy charities* listed below or one that you cherish, on my behalf.  I have the luxury, ability, and capacity to run, and I hope my effort will be beneficial to others in need.  Here are some possibilities to consider: $ 1 per mile = $26, $5 per borough = $25,  ¢1 every 10 steps = $35, or whatever works for you.

Love Gia ❤


Back on My Feet is a national for-purpose non-profit organization that uses running to help those experiencing homelessness change the way they see themselves.


GLSEN-Southern Maine is a non-profit organization that strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.


Maine Transgender Network  is a statewide non-profit organization that provides support and resources for the transgender community, families, significant others, and allies.
* I serve on the board of directors of both GLSEN- Southern Maine & MaineTransNet

No comments:

Post a Comment