Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

Boston Skyline,  Saturday April 13, 2013
My heart goes out to the running community and all those affected by this tragedy. I was born in Boston and while I haven't lived there in years, I still consider it my hometown.  Most of my family and so many friends are a part of this special community. 

In fact, I was in Boston all week before the race.  My dad had just had heart surgery at Tufts Medical Center and I had been visiting him with my mom and other family members for eight days.  He was released from the hospital just on Sunday.  I thought about staying on Monday to watch this magical race one more time for inspiration and to see some of my heros, like Olympians Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher. But I wasn't feeling too good, so I drove home to Maine and watched the race, start to finish, on my computer.  

As a marathon runner who grew up just a mile from Heartbreak Hill and have been a lifelong fan of this historic marathon, I've come to know it as one of the greatest sporting events in the world.  I will train even harder now with the hope of running this treasured race someday with spirits of those who lost their lives on this tragic Patriot's Day in Boston.